Enhance Health for AllOur MissionProjects

Latrines For Enarupa Oongila

Project Status: Completed

Funds Provided By OFDC: $2,429

Funds Provided By The Local Community: $680

Enarupa Oongila Primary School has requested assistance constructing 8 latrines; 3 for boys, 3 for girls, and 2 for teachers. The local community contributed 20% of the project’s cost, which reinforces the principle of self-reliance and human achievement. We thank our valued supporters who donated the remaining 80%. Enarupa Oongila has an enrollment of 150 students (80 girls and 70 boys). When improvements to the educational experience are implemented, enrollment increases and the education received is heightened dramatically.

Latrine projects encompass two aspects of OFDC’s mission; Educating Children and Enhancing Health. Latrines create a comfortable environment for the students, especially girls, so they can focus on their studies. Girls benefit by now having a place of privacy they can go to during their menstrual cycles which often, when latrines are absent, causes many to miss, drop out, or not even attend school. Latrines Enhance Health by creating a place for human waste and eliminating open deification. This decreases the spread of pathogens, which are major causes of infectious diarrhea and intestinal worm infections.

Students of Enarupa Oongila Primary.

Old latrines at Enarupa Oongila Primary.

Completed latrines funded by our donors and the local Kenyan Community.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *