Enhance Health for AllOur MissionProjects

Latrines for Oltanki Primary School

Project Status: Completed
Funds Provided by OFDC: $2,895
Funds Provided by Local Kenyan Community: $720

New latrines have been completed at Oltanki Primary School, located in Narok County. A total of 10 latrines were constructed: 4 for girls, 4 for boys, and 2 for teachers. The request for additional latrines came from an increase in enrollment. Currently, Oltanki Primary has an enrollment of 230 boys and 250 girls for a total of 480 students. The old latrines they had were not adequate and falling apart.

Latrines are an essential item to have at the school, not only for the purpose of sanitation and the containment of diseases but also to provide a place of privacy for girls during their menstrual cycles. It is very common for girls to miss lots of school days or even not go at all due to the lack of privacy during their periods.

We thank the local Kenyan community that contributed 20% of the project’s cost as well as our supporters who provided the remaining 80%. Without the support from both sides of the project, none of this would have been possible. We thank Serpepi Nakurroh, the head teacher at Oltanki Primary, for his excellent facilitation of this project. With his great work, the project went very smoothly. All supplies and labor were purchased locally to help stimulate the economy.

Again, THANK YOU to all those that helped make this project a success!

Please check out the photos below to see the progression of the project.

The beginning of the pit. Final depth will be 40 feet.

Bringing in the stones via lorry.

Over half way there!

Framing, vents, and roof complete!

After hard work and lots of community support, the latrines are finished.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *